Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Paintman Cometh

We spent much of Sunday shopping for stuff more or less directly connected with painting the soon to be formerly white trike.

The right fender was slightly damaged in what is reported to be an accelerator mishap. It had been pounded back into shape reasonably well, but we wanted to replace it before painting. that sort of thing always shows through.

Northern Tool had fenders that were pretty close, so we got two so we can replace both to match. As a bonus, there is probably enough good fender on both of the old ones to redo the fenders on Sponge Bob.

It looks like the old fenders on the trike were previously on another trike and the mounts on the trike look like they were originally made for other fenders. [This is the fourth version of that sentence, and I still don't like it]

I started with the banged up fender.


The new fenders are slightly smaller, so I removed a bracket "extender" of sorts (just visible at the rear of the fender above) and it looks like the original brackets will fit them. I then measured and cut a notch in the front of the fender to clear the mount. Once the notch fit well, I marked the back of the fender and cut that notch. That fender appears to fit perfectly. Then I repeated for the other fender. Somehow, I manged to avoid photographing the new fenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers