Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lights at the End of the Tunnel

I see them.

Tonight was mostly wiring relays, but that sounds deceptively quick and easy. I connected coil and power to 5 relays that control the headlight, taillights, and turn signals.



All these wires will be dressed up when I'm completely done!

I also wired the starter relay. It is zip-tied to the starter itself to save me room for another relay socket.

What's left to wire on the chassis:
front turn signals
speedometer sensor
connector or two to connect the relay outputs to the wiring for the body
brake light switch
horn relay and horn
a connector the license plate/trailer plug on the bumper
optional back up lights

I will then need to install the tail lights on the body and wire them and the headlight to a connector or two to mate the connectors on the chassis.

The hardest mechanical work left is to remove the fender brackets, though I will be putting the fenders on at a later date. Removing the brackets may involve removing the wheels. I also need to add spacers to lift the body so that it clears stuff it didn't used to clear, like the engine and the springs on the front end. That will mostly involve stacking washers or cutting wood blocks or something for four spots, but I will need to weld an extension on the frame tab under the seat.

That should have everything to the point where it can be inspected and become street legal for the first time since it was wrecked sometime in the '80's!

I need a proper permanent footrest, though that will doubtlessly need to wait until after the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers